Buildbase FA Trophy First Qualifying Round – Tuesday, 29th October 2019

Halesowen Town 2 Stamford AFC 2

Halesowen took an early lead but failed to capitalise and needed a late equaliser to force a Guy Fawkes Night replay in an end-to-end contest.

The hosts made a storming start as Montel Gibson burst down the right to earn a corner and Rob Evans headed a second corner just wide, all in the first minute. The Yeltz then took an 8th minute lead after Gibson crossed from the right for Jamie Molyneux to head against the post and Robbie BUNN was on hand to follow up from the rebound. A low, hard cross from Evans was saved at the second attempt by Danny Haystead in the 9th minute and Gibson missed a great chance to double the lead when free on goal, but he fired wide in the 17th minute one-on-one with Haystead.

But the Daniels gradually weathered the storm and pushed forward to control the latter part of the first-half. Tendai Chitiza’s 26th minute free-kick from the edge of the area was blocked in Stamford’s first real attempt and home goalkeeper Brendon Bunn made a good 32nd minute save from Cleveland Taylor’s cross. Cosmas Matwasa almost met a 35th minute long ball and Ollie Brown-Hill weaved through the home defence before being blocked. The Yeltz defence blocked again when Tom Siddins met Harry Vince’s 39th minute corner. For Halesowen, Gibson’s 41st minute cross just evaded Molyneux as he rushed in.

After Halesowen’s early promise dissipated, the threatening Daniels equalised in the 42nd minute when BROWN-HILL’s 20 yard shot took a wicked deflection to leave goalkeeper Bunn rooted to the spot. Matwasa then crossed for Brown-Hill to fire just over the bar seconds before the half-time whistle.

At the start of the second period Bunn dragged his shot wide after winning the ball and Gibson drove just past the right hand upright in the 64th minute before firing just past the left upright three minutes later.

Stamford pushed on to snatch the lead in the 70th minute when leading scorer SIDDONS converted in front of goal from Vince’s right-wing free-kick. But the Yeltz regrouped and rescued the tie with a route-one late equaliser. Goalkeeper Bunn’s long 88th minute clearance was controlled by GIBSON and he fired home from the edge of the penalty area off the inside of the post to force a replay.

Halesowen Town: Brendon Bunn; Jamie Ashmore (Andrew Parsons 81), James Bowen, Jordan Piggott (Ashley Sammons HT), Paul McCone (c), Robert Evans, Joshua Hawker (Jamie Lucas 73), Robbie Bunn, Montel Gibson, Reece Hewitt, Jamie Molyneux. Subs Not Used: Lewis Wright, Kartel O’Neil-Martin, Bradley Catlow (GK).

Stamford: Danny Haystead; Cleveland Taylor (c), Jon Challinor, Harry Vince, Jordon Cooke, James Blunden, Tendai Chitiza (James Hicks 64), Rob Morgan, Tom Siddons (Mike Armstrong 80), Ollie Brown-Hill (Ollie Luto 90), Cosmas Matwasa. Subs Not Used: Joe Tarris (GK), Pearson Mwanyongo.

Referee: Richard Eley Attendance: 306
Booked: None
‘Tulleys Print’ HTFC Man of the Match selected by June Jamieson: Paul McCone.

SevenCapital logo black.png
Tulleys Logo.jpg
© Halesowen Town Football Club 1873-2019